Tomatillo Taco Green Shakshuka (Ovo-Vegetarian, Keto, Paleo friendly)
My vegetarian entry in Kevin’s Natural Foods’ Blogger Recipe Challenge, Eat Clean, Live Happy: Green Tomatillo Shakshuka (Ovo-Vegetarian). Kevin's Natural Foods' generously provided the product below.
Green Tomatillo Shakshuka is fun, festive, and an unexpected surprise at any holiday or any-day table! My Ovo-Vegetarian dish is welcomed by any style-of-eating diner because it is packed with flavor, texture, and nutrition. The Green Tomatillo Shakshuka is Paleo and Keto friendly…and even my hamburger loving hubby loves the powerful punch of poblano, cumin, kale, cabbage, and peppers, with an oozy egg on top.
I always love saying yes to a cooking challenge! When I read about Kevin’s Natural Foods’ Blogger Recipe Challenge, Eat Clean, Live Happy, I immediately knew it was a challenge I would enjoy. After all, I LOVE creating clean veggie and herb packed dishes! AND I love exploring companies and products I have not experienced! I have thoroughly enjoyed my time tasting and testing the delicious flavors of Kevin’s Natural Foods Sauces to see how I could incorporate them into weekly meals.
Bloggers were sent samples various flavors of Kevin’s Natural Foods Paleo, Keto, gluten, soy, dairy-free, no-GMO, and no-preservatives. YES, the sauces are that healthy! You are probably thinking what I was thinking….”no-way-tasty”! My opinion definitely changed as I stirred Kevin’s Natural Foods Paleo & Keto sauces into some of my family’s favorite dishes! What a simple flavor boost! The balance in depth of flavor, acid, low sodium, and ingredients, and the fact that I can read the “clean” ingredients, is really impressive! It was sooo hard to choose just four because all of Kevin’s Natural Foods Sauces look scrumptious and easy to incorporate into the dishes I like to make. I chose the first 4 sauces on the list below which only leads me now to wanting to try all of Kevin’s healthy sauces. The word on the Bloggers circuit is that they are all delicious!
Kevin’s Natural Foods Paleo & Keto Sauces
Tomatillo Taco Sauce
Kevin’s Thai Coconut Sauce
Kevin’s Lemongrass Basil Sauce
Kevin’s Korean BBQ Sauce
Kevin’s Cilantro Lime Sauce
Kevin’s Teriyaki Sauce
Kevin’s Tikka Masala Sauce
Kevin’s Classic Taco Sauce
I usually make every thing by scratch because I don’t like additives or imitation flavors. I am really diligent to read labels and have placed back on the grocery store shelf many popular salad dressings and sauces due to MSG! Thank you Kevin for keeping your sauces are so clean …and delicious! The ingredients today’s sauce, Tomatillo Taco Sauce: Tomatillos, water, onion, roasted poblano chilies, coconut nectar, roasted garlic, cilantro, Serrano chilies, jalapeño peppers, sea salt, lime juice, tapioca starch, spices, granulated garlic, xanthin gum, yeast extract.
RECIPES THAT BLOGGERS HAVE MADE WITH KEVIN’S NATURAL FOODS SAUCE
If you are like me and welcome healthy sauces that boost the flavor and ease in your meal time prep then check out other bloggers’ recipes. You will find that the sauce is very versatile! Now I challenge you to create your own tasty dish by simply sautéing meat, fish, or veggies and pouring in Kevin’s Natural Foods Sauce and simmer. Make sure to snap a photo of your dish and post it on social media tagging:
INSPIRATION FOR GREEN SHAKSHUKA
Two things inspired the making of my Green Tomatillo Shakshuka:
1. I once won $5,00000 in a duck recipe contest with my “Crossed Cuisines Shakshuka with Duck Sausage and Duck Fat Toast”, it was scrumptious and such a comforting dish. And we sure do need comfort in the pandemic!
2. I have been eyeing the simple beauty of Green Shakshuka dishes on social media, and placed a recipe in my “Make Soon” folder….well that was about a year ago! LoL! As soon as I received Kevin’s Tomatillo Taco Sauce my mouth watered, and I remembered my crave for Green Shakshuka. I am so glad I did because this dish is a keeper….pandemic or not! Hubby and my neighbor loved it. My neighbor had never heard of Shakshuka!
WHAT IS SHAKSHUKA
Traditionally, a shakshuka is a mixture of simmering tomato and red bell pepper sauce with spices, and topped with poached eggs. Today, you see red and green shakshuka many of which have baked eggs. This impressive dish is garnished with queso fresco or feta and sprinkled with freshly chopped herbs. My favorites herbs are a combo of cilantro and parsley.
WHY I LOVE SHAKSHUKA
1. I love saying the word! Honest, I think it is fun to say!
2. Versatile! Clean out your produce bin; greens, zucchini, spinach, Brussels sprouts, onions, peppers, any combination works. Easy to make and change up with what you have.
3. It is comforting, yummy, and nutritious!
3. I love the Middle eastern international flavors.
KEEPING IT KETO, PALEO, OVO-VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY
1. First of all, if you are a vegetarian who does not eat eggs then leave the eggs out. The Tomatillo Taco Sauce veggie packed foundation of this dish is delish!
2. Choose onions wisely! Green onions have 2.3 carbs per 1/2 cup versus 4.3 carbs for 1/2 cup of white onions. I chose green onions!
3. Peppers are super low in carbs for the Keto diet so pile them on!
4. If you want to beef up the protein and are not a vegetarian add ground chicken or beef to your shakshuka.
5. Do you want a creamier shakshuka go ahead and stir in avocado puree!
6. Spice is Nice! Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Coriander, Garlic are my fave for this dish.
Usually I add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to marry all of the flavors together but guess what? Kevin really got the acid right in Tomatillo Taco Sauce and I did not have to add acid at the end! Seriously, first time ever!
For healthy eating inspiration follow KEVIN’S ONLINE & SOCIAL MEDIA
Green Tomatillo Shakshuka Recipe
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
COURSE: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Author: Merry Graham from @A Merry Recipe
1/2 tablespoon safflower oil
1 cup (140g) chopped tomatillos
1/2 cup (64g) chopped green onions, additional for garnish
2 cups (226g) chopped peppers, I used 1 cup poblano 1 cup green bell pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups (134g) shredded kale, ribs removed
2 cups (140g) shredded cabbage
1 (7 ounce) package Kevin’s Natural Foods Tomatillo Taco Sauce
1 (150g) medium zucchini, grated
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro, additional for garnish
1/4 cup chopped parsley, additional for garnish
1 large avocado for garnish heavy
5 large eggs
Heat safflower oil in a large heavy skillet or Braiser on medium heat. Add tomatillos, green onions, peppers, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Add kale and cabbage, and cook 2 minutes. Pour in about half a packet of Kevin's Tomatillo Taco Sauce. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until kale has softened. Add zucchini, cilantro, parsley, and remaining Tomatillo Taco Sauce, lower heat to a simmer and cook 3 minutes or until all vegetables are soft. Optional: If you want a creamier shakshuka, blend 1/3 avocado with 1/4 cup water, and stir into the mixture at this point. Taste and salt, if desired.
Turn heat to medium high just until liquid in skillet is bubby. Flatten the mixture with a large serving spoon or measuring cup and make indentions to form 5 small wells. Crack one egg into each well.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Season eggs with salt and black pepper. Cover and let the eggs cook until whites are opaque but yolk is still runny, 4 minutes. If eggs are done to desired doneness, turn off the heat and let the eggs rest, covered, until yolks are to satisfaction. To serve, sprinkle with green onions, cilantro, and parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!