Do you always prepare Rack of Lamb the same way? Check out some new ways of cooking Aussie Rack of Lamb in the New Year!
Photo: Air fried 1-rib mini-bites lollipops with 2-rib oven roasted lamb chops,
and pan-seared Aussie Lamb Loin.
Aussie Rack of Lamb is my favorite cut of lamb, and this year I discovered different ways to cut and serve these succulent and flavorful lamb chops. I also learned some awesome facts about lamb in general so me share! My recipe for Himalayan 5-Spice Aussie Lamb Loin with Mini-bite Lollipops can be served as an appetizer or a main dish.
TIPS on COOKING AUSSIE RACK OF LAMB:
1. TRIM, the fat cap can be trimmed to 1/8-inch thick. Sometimes the butcher has already trimmed the Aussie Rack of Lamb. I discovered that Costco's Aussie Rack of Lamb has been trimmed and warrants the $1.00 more per pound price. You see, I actually weighed the fat scraps cut from a grocery store's Aussie Rack of Lamb and the scraps weighed in at 14 ounces! Extra fat or not the Aussie Rack of Lamb from both stores was fresh, flavorful, and scrumptious.
2. PLAN AHEAD; season or marinade the Aussie lamb chops and set on counter until the chops come to room temperature. If your seasoning or marinade has lots of sugar (honey, agave, brown sugar) the "Roast in Oven" is best as to not burn the sugars. Aussie Rack of Lamb is tender and miild-flavored and requires little seasoning. A popular way to cook is to pan-sear prior to roasting which develops a fabulously caramelized crust and seals in the juices.
3. HEAVY-BOTTOM skillet is the most efficient way to sear Aussie Rack of Lamb. I do not suggest using a non-stick skillet. On my stovetop high is too high in a stainless steel skillet. Medium-high is the best heat to sear lamb chops.
4. SERVING SIZE: A medium (8-rib rack of lamb typically serves 2-3. Just this week, I was cooking Aussie Lamb Mini-bite Lollipops (I had separated the mini-bite rack bones from the lamb loin) and my granddaughter ate 3 mini-bites and then several slices of lamb loin. So beware ~ plan for your diners' to eat more than their share!
5. Rest Aussie Rack of Lamb for 5-8 minutes before serving.
WAYS to COOK AUSSIE RACK OF LAMB:
SEAR in Pan ~ Finish in Oven: Sear Aussie Rack of Lamb for about three minutes per side and then place in a preheated oven (375–425°F), fat side up, for 13–15 minutes for medium rare. The cooked lamb will be springy when pressed.
ROAST in Oven: After seasoning the Aussie Rack of Lamb, cut in 2-rib chops or leave whole. Place on a foil lined pan in the center of a 400°-424°F oven for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board allowing lamb to rest 5–10 minutes.
SEPARATE Lamb Loin from Rack Bones: Below you will see some photos of how I separated the lamb loin from the rib bones. It truly is easier that you think. The lamb loin takes only 8 minutes to sear and cook in a skillet to 125°F! There is no need to roast in oven! Allow lamb to rest 5 minutes or more. The rib bones still have 2-3 mini-bites of meat and are so fun to serve as an appetizer! I like to air fry the rib bones at 360°F for 9-10 minutes. Serve with sweet chili sauce! If you don't have an air fryer, simply pan sear in a frying pan, or lightly broil. A hot outdoor grill is great too!
For information on Aussie Grassfed Beef and Lamb.
In Southern California,I buy Aussie Grassfed Beef and Lamb at Costco, Von's, and Aldi's. Click here to find out where you can buy Aussie Grassfed Beef and Lamb.
Make sure it is Aussie Rack of Lamb
There are several companies that packages Aussie Rack of Lamb.
The company does not matter what does is if the back label reads:
"Product of Australia"!
Trim the outer fat cap to 1/8".
Start from the back side of the rack of lamb. Dig your thumb or finger between the bone and the tenderloin and gently push the meat off the bone.
Lift the trimmed fat cap and sprinkle with seasoning. #OhYum
Advantages of keeping the trimmed fat cap intact:
Add flavor, adds moisture, protects the meat, and seals in the spices.
Cut ribs into 1 or 2 rib segments.
MIni-Bite Lollipops are ready to cook in a skillet, or in the oven, or grill,
or an air fryer! Note: always remove as much fat as possible when cooking rack of lamb ribs in an air fryer.
Ribs cut into single mini-bite lollipops and are Air Fried 360°F for 9 minutes.
Example of Aussie Rack of Lamb with fat cap removed completely. If cooked in an air fryer please remove as much fat as you can to prevent smoke! Always air fry in a well ventilated kitchen.
If you are cooking the ribs in a skillet, cut 2 rib chops for easier handling.
Himalayan 5-Spice Aussie Lamb Loin with Mini-bite Lollipops
1 Aussie (8-rib), separate loin from ribs, cut 1-2 ribs per chop
1/2 tablespoon Himalayan Pink Salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spices
1/8 teaspoon citric acid or lemon salt
1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
Combine Himalayan salt, garlic salt, pepper, Chinese 5-spices, and citric acid. Sprinkle mini-bite ribs lightly with less than half of the seasoning salt. Generously sprinkle the lamb loin with the remaining seasoning. Drizzle with garlic olive oil.
In a skillet, over medium high heat, sear all sides of lamb loin, for about 8-10 minutes or until a center internal temperature reaches 125°F to 130°F. Rest lamb loin for 5-10 minutes.
In a skillet, over medium high heat, sear both sides of lamb loin 2-3 minutes per side, or desired doneness. The ribs can be finished under the broiler for 1 minute per side, if needed.
Serves: 2-3 people
In partnership with True Aussie Grassfed Beef and Lamb.
Go ahead and cook up some Aussie Lamb in a new way in 2019!
Have fun and #BeAussome!
Make sure any time you #OwnYourParty and prepare Aussie Grassfed Beef or Lamb tag me at at amerryrecipe and hashtag #BeAussome and #OwnYourParty.
Check out Aussie Grassfed beef and lamb on social media:
Facebook: Aussie Beef & Lamb